Wednesday, August 25, 2010

THE (MY) QUILT

Between trips out to town, walks in the woods, and lovely snacks and meals, I made a quilt in the first five days of my stay. I worked intuitively, using some techniques I have seen, and then cutting it up and putting it back together a few times. At some point, as I often do, I realized I needed pink. Violette taught me to use a bigger seam allowance and iron open all of the seams to allow more flexibility. The morning she helped me finish it with straps on top and a zipper at the bottom, we took it- ‘hot from the oven’- to Truchas to show the quilt class, to Penasco to show the Hersday group, then to Taos to submit it to a show. The woman organizing the show has been making quilts for years, and I was somewhat intimidated, but the experience of showing my work to people that are far from my typical viewers felt like an important challenge. Below is the progression of the quilt.







No comments:

Post a Comment