Friday, August 27, 2010

THE LADY

Violette at work in her studio:

I first met Violette at a quilt-making workshop she held in Brooklyn when I lived there two years ago. At the end of the day, we were waiting for a cab and got into an excited discussion about wasting fabric and the production of fabrics that are unkind to our bodies. She came by my studio, saw the fabric collages I was working on, and enthusiastically invited me to collaborate at her studio in New Mexico. I met her again several times with her daughter Emma, whom I am close friends with. I saw her beautiful quilts displayed at a gallery in New York, and at her daughter's wedding in California. And finally the time came when I could go to this place I had heard so much about and get to know this incredible artist and inspiring woman.

Her methods of operation are always personal, and her ideas are always flowing. She has a deep respect for the place she lives and the people around her, and she is supportive of other artists to no end. During my two-week stay, Violette cooked amazing food for me while I sewed at her table and dug through her stash of fabrics. She introduced me to her community and submerged me in it- asking me to give presentations of my work to audiences whomever we could gather. We had more conversations about the importance of reusing materials, the possibilities of recycling fabric, and the power that is gained in the process of making. One night on a drive home, I brought up the idea of making quilts from the clothes of a friend who died, and asked about her shroud quilts that she started making after the death of her friend. I have been making artwork from thrift store bedding and clothing that belonged to strangers, and alternately using clothing from friends and family, and working with the histories embedded in that fabric. Violette said, “Cloth holds so much energy- look at the animals, they are always right on top of what you are working on.” We both agree that fabric holds energy and potential, and with her passion and knowledge on the subject, she was constantly encouraging me to spread that belief.

dumpster diving for treats & compost treats:


No comments:

Post a Comment